The recent research from Podcast Insights says, there are over 750,000 different podcasts. In Estonia, there are nearly 300 podcasts created and many more are popping up every day. The most popular genres of podcasts are society & culture, business, comedy, news, politics and health.
Although it might seem that the podcast landscape is on a full swing there's still space for the newcomers believe Jaan Erik Elgula and Mihkel Noot, authors of the podcast Visa Ring. "There's always space for audio content related to the films, music and culture in general," says Mihkel who together with Jaan recorded their last episode "Charlie's Angels (2019) / Cutthroat Island (1995)" in Workland Maakri podcast room.
More and more people use audio as a distraction from too much visual stimulation, they just need a break from the screens. We can see this in the explosion of podcasting, audiobooks and voice assistants. Unlike any other type of content, audio can be easily consumed on the go or while multitasking. Podcast listeners listen to an average of 7 episodes per week consuming an average of 6 h 37 min of audio content.
The research shows that:
- Young people (age 18-44) make up 67% of the podcast audience, most active listeners are in the age group of 25-44.
- The podcast audience is amazingly gender-balanced (52% men vs 48% women).
- Podcasts attract wealthier and educated people.
- An interesting trend is that podcast listeners are also active on social media and are more likely to follow companies and brands on social media platforms.
- In the sense of advertising, 69% of the people agreed that podcast ads made them aware of new services and products.
- 61.2% of podcast listeners spend more time every week listening to podcasts than they do watching TV.
If you look at the characteristics of the people consuming podcasts, it most probably matches your businesses target group, thus we recommend strongly to start thinking about your brand audio marketing strategy.